At the 2004 DAVA National Convention, the delegates adopted a change to the constitution that would allow for males to join the auxiliary. A ballot was sent out to all units by National Auxiliary Headquarters asking the unit to vote on the change. A ratification of three-fourths of the units chartered was needed in order to put this change into effect. On February 15, 2005, the votes were counted and it was confirmed that the required percentage of units had voted to allow men to join the Auxiliary, if eligible. This change immediately became effective on the date of ratification.
The Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary (DAVA) was founded in 1922 by women who saw a need for assistance to the families, widows and orphans of disabled veterans, as well as the disabled veterans themselves. With membership open to family members of disabled or deceased veterans, 2,000 DAV Auxiliary units continue to serve disabled veterans, with particular emphasis on the families of those veterans.
Benefits: The DAV Auxiliary works closely with DAV National Service Offices throughout the country in an effort to make sure all disabled veterans and their families receive all of the benefits and services they’re entitled to by law.
- Legislation: Auxiliary members fight to protect and improve legislation involving benefits earned by disabled veterans.
- VA Voluntary Service: DAV and Auxiliary members donate more than 1½ million hours annually to volunteer work at VA medical facilities and are constantly recruiting new volunteers for this program.
- Transportation: Auxiliary members are very involved within the DAV’s transportation system by serving as hospital service coordinators and van drivers.
- Education Loans: Interest-free loans up to $2,500 per year for four years, providing the applicant qualifies, and is to be paid back in easy installments after graduation. Those who apply must meet the eligibility requirements.
- Service/Support Find: Provides financial assistance to those auxiliary members who meet the eligibility requirements.
The national Auxiliary programs are not funded by the United States government, but depend totally on dues and contributions of its membership.
Should you wish to make a donation, make check payable to:
3725 Alexandria Pike
Cold Spring, KY 41076
Should you wish to make a donation by credit card, call toll free (877) 426-2838, ext. 2068.
Newly Revised, 2006
Label Request Information (pdf)
Label Request Form (pdf)
Please note: In order to view .pdf files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.